Did You Know | Rules for constructing your own house

If you are getting your house constructed in a city, you need to follow certain rules and seek permission from various city and state authorities. Also, there are certain restrictions on the usage of certain resources.
Permission you require
You will have to obtain permission from various departments of the state or city authority your plot falls under. You can build the property only when the city authority approves your building plan. In addition, you need a clearance certificate from the development authority, apart from clearances from other state departments such as fire safety, environment and transport departments.
The restrictions
Most metro cities in India have a provision where the government does not allow you to use groundwater or the supply water from a nearby source for construction. Thus, you cannot build your own bore-well for construction purposes.
You cannot use the road in front of the plot for dumping construction debris. In case you do so, you need to remove it within a week. It is for this reason that you need to cover roadside construction with a net screen not less than 8 ft in height from the ground level. During construction, a facade has to be created so that the debris falls within a protected area.
You cannot create any noise pollution while construction, especially when it is in the heart of a residential settlement. Any noise related activities are to be taken up after 10 pm. If there is any demolition work that has to be carried out, it should be done in a manner that no disturbance is caused in the neighbourhood.
The penalties
If you flout any of the above-mentioned restrictions, you will be penalized. For example, if you are found having a bore-well without the necessary permission, you may have to stop the construction and close the well. In addition, you may have to pay a penalty to the water department for misusing a natural resource.
In case you do not remove the debris from the road within a week, the local development authority will get it removed. But it will also charge you for the amount of work done to remove the debris. Also, if a resident in your neighbourhood complains about noise, the authority may ask you to stop that particular work during daytime.
What is the way out?
For the water required for construction, you will have to apply to the water works department to give a supply pipeline for the property and seek their permission to get a water tanker. For debris, too, you will either require the local authority’s vehicle to remove it or will have to seek help from a private contractor.
Vettoor Construction Engineers (P) Ltd

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>